Article written by: Denise Dee
The school season has started once again and for some people, they need to get good grades. But grades are not the only thing that matter. Grades alone won’t get you to your dream job yet, but experience in a field is also important. One way to gain experience is through internships.
Internships are a great way to apply learning and knowledge through working. Some interns are paid, while others are unpaid. But all have the same goal of gaining work experience, applying school learnings, and learning from experts in the field.
But getting an internship is easier said than done. Not everyone will become an intern of a company on their first try. Some are luckier than others, but that does not mean you can’t get into one. Here are some tips to get into one:
- Research the company you are applying to. Look at their core values, mission, and vision to see if it aligns with yours. Know what the company does to see if you’re a great fit and if you would like to work in that environment.
- Learn more about the field you want to get into. Knowing the gist or basics of the field will give you a higher chance of getting accepted.
- Have the willingness to learn. You won’t know everything in a field but having an open mind will do you a lot.
- Offer something of value. A company won’t accept you unless you can offer them something. Whether it would be your creative skills, public speaking ability, knowledge, or any other, you should have something that will benefit the company.
- Work on your skills. Sometimes we lack the necessary skills to beat other competitors, so we should work on them to gain an edge over them. Skills such as networking, public speaking, leadership, or even teamwork will help you increase your chances of getting accepted.
- Lastly, don’t give in. Your first rejection does not mean that you will never get into an internship. Getting an internship is a process and you are a work in progress. Don’t stop at one application, keep moving forward and try to improve yourself every day. Figure out the things you could improve on so that you will get accepted the next time.
Overall, internships are a great way to get experience in a field. Although there are other ways to gain experience in a field (volunteering, creating projects, freelancing, assisting researchers, etc), it is one of the best ways to apply the things you learn in school.
Remember, it’s also important to note that everyone is different! This goes on to say that we all may have different ideas and methods on how to land the right internship for us. So, what do you think is the best approach?
I wish you the best in your internship journey. Remember that life is a marathon, things take time. Keep going and don’t give in!